Having visited Tenerife as a child many times I thought that the island had very little to offer photographers, oh how I was wrong!
Recently me and Emma booked a trip there as we were looking to escape the dark Swedish winter. We wanted to go somewhere that was a good balance of photography and chill, without having to travel to the other side of the planet.
In this blog I will share with you some of my favourite places, a few tips and my map which I planned the trip on!
So what exactly does the island offer?
Amazing hiking trails, rugged coastlines, great food and of course sunshine all year round. Oh and it hasn't been smashed on Instagram yet!
What would I recommend?
- Masca (personal favourite)
- Explore the Anaga region
- Macizo de Anaga hike (link)
- Hike from Masca down to the beach (link)
- Mirador de Chipeque (viewpoint for Teide mountain)
- Explore Teide National Park (1 -2 days)
- Punta De Teno
- Take a road trip to Taganana
- Spend 2-3 days at La Gomera, this is a close island only 40 minutes away
- Hike up the random hill near Benijo (see map at the bottom)
- Airbnb's can be very affordable! We found a private room for anything from €20 per night and an apartment for around €60.
- Give yourself around eight days, this should allow you two in La Gomera also.
- For the La Gomera ferry certain companies do allow you to bring your rental car over from Tenerife, ensure you check in advance. Book ferry here
- Get full car insurance, the road to Masca is pretty tight and it's common for cars to get a few scratches along the way.
- Take care of your belongings, be smart as there are a lot of pickpocket warning signs. That being said, we felt safe at all times.
- Use the PhotoPills iPhone/ Android app to plan your sunrises/ sunsets.
- Request permits in advance for your Anaga hikes here (this is free).
- Avoid drone use around the airports and Teide National Park, the fines are high and the last thing I want is you flying into a plane.
- Don't forget sun cream, especially if you're a Brit like me.
- Food recommendation: La Posada del Pez
Tenerife/ La Gomera is the perfect vacation during winter. For sunrise/ sunset I managed to get some great photos and in the middle we could eat ice cream and relax in the sun. Flights are reasonable and accommodation is pretty cheap. What's not to like?
Need a map of locations?
Please see link